06 - 07 November, 2020
Hilton Vienna Danube Waterfront
+44 (0) 207 368 9576
Day One - Wed 6th November
7:50 am - 8:50 am Networking Breakfast
8:50 am - 8:55 am Opening Remarks - Conference Director
8:55 am - 9:00 am Chairperson’s Opening Remarks
9:00 am - 9:20 am BUY SIDE KEYNOTE - What three steps should you take to ensure your firm is ready to execute a regulatory and technology oversight strategy that reduces operational risk and sets you up for success?
9:20 am - 10:00 am ALL STAR PANEL - Building a best-in-class risk and compliance division: How can you put in place agile risk and compliance business models to efficiently respond to speed of change in the backdrop of increasing cost pressures and lower returns?
- What R&C business models are best suited to adapt to a new environment of increasing regulatory, technology and data cost pressures?
- How can you best bridge the gap between your risk, compliance and legal teams to ensure that every part of regulation, associated risks and impacts are covered?
- What manual processes across the risk and compliance spectrum should you automate to reduce costs and focus your R&C resources where they are truly needed?
- Assessing the pros and cons of a shared service model: How you establish if a shared service model is best suited to balancing lower returns and customer price pressures?
- What are the new skill-sets risks and compliance functions need to develop to best adapt to a world of increasing regulatory granularity and technological innovation?
Maurizio BassoGroup Chief Compliance Officer
Patrick TrewChief Risk Officer
Maniyar Capital Advisors
10:00 am - 10:40 am OXFORD STYLE DEBATE - TRUE OR FALSE: Breaking silos - Risk and compliance managers should work within the investment teams and report to the CIO to drive the step changes required within the front office
Antonello RussoEMEA Head of Investment Risk Management – ETF and Index Investments
Margaret AmmonChief Risk Officer
10:40 am - 11:20 am Morning Networking Break
11:20 am - 12:00 pm ALL STAR PANEL - Putting advanced automation across R&C to use: What manual processes do you need to automate now to allow your employees to focus on value add tasks and how can risk and compliance ensure effective technology risk oversight?
Erik Vynckier Board Member Foresters Friendly Society
Andreas Uremovic Global Head of Investment Portfolio Compliance, Director Allianz Global Investors GmbH
Guy Coughlan Chief Risk Officer Universities Superannuation Scheme
Ted Datta Director Governance, Risk & Compliance Solutions Bureau van Dijk
Enrico Massignani Head of Risk Generali Group Investment Asset & Wealth Management
- How is AI, ML and RPA set to transform how you undertake daily risk and compliance operations in the next 5 years?
- Outsourcing versus in-house solutions: How can you establish which digital technology you should keep in house and when it is best to outsource to build a digital division in a cost effective manner?
- How can you get buy-in from your senior management to initiate digitalisation across R&C to give your firm a competitive advantage?
- Building the bridge between risk, compliance and IT functions: How can data scientists add real value to risk and compliance practices?
Andreas UremovicGlobal Head of Investment Portfolio Compliance, Director
Allianz Global Investors GmbH
Guy CoughlanChief Risk Officer
Universities Superannuation Scheme
Ted DattaDirector Governance, Risk & Compliance Solutions
Bureau van Dijk
Enrico MassignaniHead of Risk
Generali Group Investment Asset & Wealth Management
12:00 pm - 12:20 pm INNOVATION KEYNOTE INTERVIEW - Setting up for a future of AI and ML: How to create an effective data management strategy to fuel accurate conclusions, achieve consistency and provide clean and accurate results
- Creating a data-dependent R&C division: How to build your data strategy process that ensures senior buy-in, funding and end-to-end vison of main milestones
- Data cleansing: How to clean up and maintain your sources of data to ensure data integrity, robustness and relevance?
- Data quality: What is the most cost efficient way to ensure the quality of data by eliminating inconsistencies and duplicates of your data sets?
- What is the best strategy to be on top of your data management tools?
- Insourcing vs. outsourcing of data aggregation services: How can you establish the right path to ensuring data quality and transparency to fuel an efficient and reliable R&C division?
Sopun LengDirector of Risk Management
12:20 pm - 12:50 pm SPECIAL GUEST SPEAKER - How hackers attack and how to fight back: Lessons from a world famous cyber hacker
12:50 pm - 2:00 pm Networking Lunch
TRACK A- RISK Mastering Liquidity Risk2:00 pm - 2:40 pm 360 PERSPECTIVE - How can you improve liquidity modelling to comply with ESMA guidelines for the buy side?
- What are the main challenges of ESMA liquidity guidelines and how can you overcome these?
- What methodology, policies and procedures you should put in place to develop regulatory implementation plan
- How to source and analyse data more effectively to be more thoughtful around your liquidity modelling
- Which stakeholders have to be involved and how to ensure efficiency in a multi-locational set-up
Dr Stefan SpreiterHead of Risk Management
Swiss Life Asset Managers
Andreas RossiHead of Investment Risk Control
UBS Fund Management
Tilo ReichertHead of Risk and Compliance
Swiss Life Fund Management (LUX)
Michael SchmidHead of Risk
Raiffeisen Capital Management
TRACK A- RISK Mastering Liquidity Risk2:40 pm - 3:20 pm CASE STUDY INTERACTIVE - Prudential regime for investment firms: What are the key challenges for European asset managers and how risk and compliance functions have to prepare now to meet these requirements?
- What are the challenges for asset managers?
- Where do we see the key challenges for the buyside
- What is the assessment from EFAMA for
- Red cap sale requrements. Capital requirement K factors
- Supervised money regime- proportionality of the overall regime and different business models that are now covered by this legislative framework
- What are the renumeration and reporting requirements.
- Currently, a pure AM company would not be directly affected, however you have MiFID license entities, who have a few services and this would play a role, and the new framework would apply to you, you have to see what happens with the renumeration and repo
Agathi PafiliSenior Regulatory Policy Advisor
TRACK B- COMPLIANCE Building A World Class Operating Model2:00 pm - 2:40 pm 360 PERSPECTIVE - Reinventing a best-practice compliance model: What makes an efficient and flexible operating model that can keep up with regulatory change whilst meeting business needs?
- What is driving the need for more tech-savvy, flexible and efficient compliance departments across the buy side?
- How should compliance department evolve on strategic and tactical levels to ensure constant embedment of regulatory changes?
- How can you balance local vs. international resources in a time of increasing importance of technological innovation?
- How to create synergies between compliance, risk and legal departments to reduce silos and increase efficiencies across the enterprise?
Eleanor GribbenCompliance Officer
Taconic Capital Advisors
David KempGroup Head of Compliance
Paul MartinHead of Legal Compliance and Risk
TRACK B- COMPLIANCE Building A World Class Operating Model2:40 pm - 4:20 pm 360 PERSPECTIVE - Embarking on your digitalization journey: How can you overcome legacy technology to bridge the gap between your current digital maturity and company’s goals?
- How can you best replace and overcome legacy systems to ensure your compliance division is at the forefront of innovation
- What should CCOs be doing now in order to gain momentum of automation opportunities?
- How to prepare for data standardization across multiple systems that takes to the next level of automation
- Compliance monitoring, testing, surveillance and communication: What other areas are set for compliance automation?
- Automation vs. Outsourcing: How will this impact your relationships with external partners?
Eleanor GribbenCompliance Officer
Taconic Capital Advisors
Laure Mazzoleni-RobinHead of Legal and Compliance
TRACK C COMPLIANCE WORKSHOP2:00 pm - 3:00 pm SYNERGY WORKSHOP - The evolution of IDD and PRIIPS regulation: How has this been implemented and is it achieving the goal of enhanced information and conduct of business?
- What is the current adoption experience and main challenges?
- What are the main requirements and challenges regarding the KIID, product approval, monitoring, reviews and clients’ interests?
- How to ensure a product value for the target audience and monitoring the distribution strategy according to standards
- How to develop appropriate distribution and selling strategy that defends clients’ interests
- What are the risks of “miss selling” your products and what should compliance department be doing?
Henk BecquaertMember of Management Committee
TRACK D RISK AND COMPLIANCE BOARDROOM2:00 pm - 3:00 pm CREATIVE BOARDROOM - Redefining and strengthening the three lines of defence: How can both the risk and compliance functions act as a business enabler
- What is the best set up of control functions for your division that eliminates duplication of work and increases organizational transparency?
- What is the best practice to build optimal risk culture that ensures holistic views across the organization on risk standards and processes?
- How can risk and compliance add more value to 1st line of defence whilst remaining aligned and compliant with regulation?
- Should 2nd line move away from being traditional operational function to take business enabler and advisory roles?
- How can risk and compliance engage in setting of business strategy and monitoring the performance of the strategy to deliver on the needs of the business?
Soren Agergaard AndersenChief Risk Officer
Nordea Asset Management
Maurizio BassoGroup Chief Compliance Officer
3:20 pm - 4:00 pm Afternoon Networking Break
TRACK A - RISK Managing Risk For Alternative Assets4:00 pm - 4:20 pm INTERVIEW - New frontiers in risk management: How to establish a best-of-breed risk strategy that ensures high levels of liquidity and future yields
- What new asset classes are displaying growth potential across private markets and what proportion of private assets should you be looking at having in your portfolio?
- What is the most appropriate liquidity and stress testing framework for private assets?
- How to measure risks accurately and what are the most appropriate risk metrics to use?
- How to assess and monitor risk from portfolio perspective for assets with long investment life cycles?
David ZackenfelsSenior Legal Adviser
Lars KuehneHead of Risk
Schroder Investment Management
TRACK A - RISK Managing Risk For Alternative Assets4:20 pm - 4:40 pm CASE STUDY - Navigating risk in leveraged loans: How can you set up an effective risk model that reaps the benefits of low volatility and attractive risk-adjusted returns?
Remi Kamiya Risk Director M&G
- Introduction into leveraged loans as a popular and strategic asset class- Why are more buy side firms turning to these for enhanced returns?
- What are the salient features and challenges of portfolio construction and management for leveraged loans?
- What are the key risks within leverage loans and how can you best to address them?
- How can you define an investment risk model to enable your firm to navigate this new asset class?
Remi KamiyaRisk Director
TRACK A - RISK Managing Risk For Alternative Assets4:40 pm - 5:00 pm CASE STUDY - Extended reverse stress testing for premia funds: How can you design a risk framework around these funds to make them more efficient and cost effective?
- Assessing the performance of premia/factor funds over the last 12 months
- How can you create a suitable risk framework to address the complexity, data and distribution challenges associated with premia investments?
- What are the main types of risk factors associated and how can you model your risk around these factors?
- Assessing the portfolio construction techniques to ensure a relative stability of the correlation
- Reviewing the ad hoc extended reverse stress test for these funds in case of unexpected re-correlation of the factors
Pascal TraccucciGlobal Head of Risk
TRACK B - COMPLIANCE Implementing Next Generation Compliance Tech4:00 pm - 4:20 pm INTERVIEW - Challenging accepted Wisdom: What does the future hold for financial compliance solutions for an automated, proactive and collaborative future?
- How can you ensure the scope of the interaction data that can be managed and monitored for compliance is higher, wider and deeper than ever before?
- Opening up options for “in-the-moment” communication and genuine collaboration- How to avoid the “compliance gap” and fall foul of the regulators
- Guiding you through “Ethical Walls” and automated operational assurance, towards new horizons
- How to ensure your on-line communication, data sharing and collaboration can all meet compliance standards.
Phil FryVP, Financial Compliance
Verint Systems Inc
TRACK B - COMPLIANCE Implementing Next Generation Compliance Tech4:20 pm - 4:40 pm CASE STUDY - Simplifying reporting through big data- How can you implement next generation big data analytics to deliver faster, reliable and more accurate reporting?
- What is the best practice to obtain data on smaller market players and consolidate it in an efficient manner for processing and analysis?
- How can best-of-breed big data help you achieve consistency across all of your regulatory reporting duties?
- How can compliance keep up with AI and ML and what are the ethical and integrity issues to consider?
- What are the best data driven RegTech systems to use to develop data analytics further?
TRACK B - COMPLIANCE Implementing Next Generation Compliance Tech4:40 pm - 5:00 pm 360 PERSPECTIVE - Complementing trade surveillance with AI and ML: How can you implement this to achieve 360 degree holistic market surveillance?
- What are the current barriers to entry for AI in risk and how can they be overcome?
- How can you use AI and ML now to boost the effectiveness of your risk management
- What is the role of risk team in challenging AI process throughout the full learning cycle?
- How to develop AI & ML for credit and market risk monitoring processes rather than quantitative models
TRACK C - WORKSHOPS4:00 pm - 5:00 pm SYNERGY WORKSHOP - Addressing biases in the digital age: How to manage errors in risk decisions and risks from errors in decisions
- Biases and risk: Errors in risk decisions and risks from errors in decisions
- Biases: An introduction to mental shortcuts
- What are the biases in the age of machine learning?
- Nudging and debasing
Jan HeemskerkHead of Operational Risk Management
NN Investment Partners
TRACK D - BOARDROOMS4:00 pm - 5:00 pm CREATIVE BOARDROOM - Setting your Senior Managers: Regime roadmap: What are the key milestones you should factor in ahead of the December 9th deadline?
- How to set a clear implementation strategy that ensures the adjustment of business models, HR systems and new ways of working
- Embracing change: How to embed new responsibilities among senior managers into their current roles
- Dealing with global organizational structures: How to comply on a country level when jurisdiction managers have lower level of autonomy
- At what point an individual is a subject to FCA actions both on senior manager and general conduct levels?
- Bridging rules vs. expected behaviour: What classification of behaviours are regulators focused on?
- How will the FCA implement their reviewing process and what steps to you need to take to prepare for this?
Girish RaoSVP, Chief Controls Officer, EMEA Head of Operations Risk Management